Tuesday 17 September 2013

El Camino: The Black Keys


The iconic cover art for The Black Keys's latest album turns out to be part of an elaborate extended joke to promote the record. According to various published interviews with Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney, the album art came about when they glanced out a window on the road and spotted an El Camino: Chevrolet’s half-car, half-pickup, built from 1959 through 1987. The musicians liked the name and thought it would serve as a fitting title for their next record. But Michael Carney, the band’s art director and the brother of Patrick Carney, whose previous efforts won him a Grammy for packaging chose to place a battered, woodgrain-sided, first-generation Chrysler minivan on the cover. Patrick, during an interview on the topic of the artwork:
I told my brother the idea and my brother was like, "You know, if you name the record El Camino, everybody's going to think of the car the El Camino." And I was like, "Yeah exactly. That's the f**king point!" And he was like, "OK, but why don't we just put a car on the cover that's not an El Camino?" And I said, "OK, what kind of car?" He says, "Just put the first car you guys ever toured in on the cover
I really like the theme of this album art, the colours used seem pretty retro and fits in with the theme of The Black Keys's music and style
Each physical digipack copy of the album has a circular sticker on it that says "Play Loud"
All of the singled released off this album have the same consistent style and font, I really like the black boarder around these and I think I might use a similar thing on my design

No comments:

Post a Comment